The Single Girl’s 10 steps to successful dating

There are a few things that we girls need to take into consideration when dating. I’ll admit, some of my advice sounds a little harsh, and I can guarantee you that you won’t hear this from anyone else. I’m gonna give you the real dirt. Pure undiluted honesty…it’s the only way I know how to do it.

Are you ready? Awesome! Read on...

1. Make a list of the qualities that Mr. Right should have. – It sounds dopey, but it really does work. I made a list of all the qualities that “Mr. Right” had to have, and when Mr. Right showed up, he was everything that I had on that list.

2. Make sure that you don’t leave anything out when you make that list. Include EVERYTHING. I know it sounds weird, but it’s like the Universe hears what we wish for, and gives it to us, warts and all. (I know…it’s very “The Secret” but so true). When my Mr. Right came along, he was everything that I had on my list. The one thing that I left OFF of that list is the only thing that he wasn’t. Dude was as cheap as the day is long. Oops...forgot to add that to the list.

3. Be Picky. You’re successful, intelligent, and gorgeous. Why should YOU get the short end of the stick? You need to shoot for the stars girl. Aim high. This lucky dude should at least be gainfully employed, not be living at home with mom and dad, and drive a decent vehicle. That’s not too much to ask. (*Note: Dude doesn't need to be beaten over the head with your opinion of yourself. He'll figure it out.)

4. You’re really into tall guys…so shoot for a tall man. Trust me, the second that you make an exception and date Mr. five foot one, even though it isn’t something that you’d say out loud, you’ll be thinking about Mr. Tall Man every time that you’re with him.

5. In the case of online dating – You strike up an online conversation with some hot dude. Chat with him for a bit. Don’t be in a big hurry to meet face to face. I’ve found that there are a lot of things that you can find out about a person before you’ve ever left the comfort of your desk chair. If you’re not comfortable chatting with him, you probably won’t be comfortable talking to him face to face. Trust me. Been there…done it…burned the tee shirt. Not goin’ back.

6. There are a few categories of male that I won’t give the time of day. If you’re online and someone starts talking to you and he doesn’t have a picture posted, it’s for one of two reasons; he’s severely hideous, or he’s so damned good looking that he’s afraid of being mobbed by every breathing female online. Odds are it’s the first one. If dude can’t produce a picture something’s up. It’s time to say ‘buh-bye’.

7. If you’re chatting with Mr. Maybe Right, and he says something that doesn’t sound quite right, dig deeper. I once started chatting with a really nice guy who was very good looking in his picture, and in the picture, he was wearing glasses. When I asked if he wore glasses for more than just reading, he replied, “I don’t wear glasses.” BIG RED FLAG. So, I dug deeper, only to find out that Mr. Maybe Right had posted a picture that he found in a picture frame as his profile picture. Good thing I chatted with him long enough to find that out. This dude didn't look a damn thing like the picture he posted. Block. Delete. Next.

8. I’ve had a few experiences with face to face meetings with men who were…shall we say…less than honest about their appearance. Either they posted a picture of themselves circa 1990, or they’ve been very creative with their profile details with regard to height and weight. Single girls, if he’s not what he said he is, or if his picture is of someone who’s obviously 20 years younger, be gone. Leave the building. Obviously he had no respect for your time, why should you respect his?

9. I don’t know about you, as far as I’m concerned, the guy who drives a corvette shouldn’t be older than maybe early 30’s. After that age, he’s probably using the corvette to hide his growing bald spot. I had one guy call me when I was on my way to meet him for our date, and tell me that the best place to park would probably be “beside my 'Vette”. I was instantly turned off. I should have listened to my gut. Turned out, dude was about 45 years old, and a harsh ‘brand name dropper’, constantly talking about how much he loves to shop , and how he only wears designer stuff. That was a bigger turn off than the car was.

10. If you’re not attracted to him, and he’s telling you that he’s “holding off all these other chicks because I wanna see where this goes with you”, run. Run far, and run fast. He can feel that you're not into him, so he's gonna play like he's doing you a favor by "holding off all these other chicks." He’s bluffing. He’s got nothing else, and you’re his last shot. Nice try buddy. Now get ta' steppin'.

Here’s to successful dating!

Copyright 2008 Single Girls' Guide To Dating All Rights Reserved.

0 comments: